Friday, August 15, 2008

08'- 09' Sitka JVC

     Josef, Eileen, Andrew paddling
       group shot, after Andrew's handstands
sunset we saw from island
   cool moon picture, Zim Emily's friend took, this happened post paddle

Each year here in Sitka a new team of Jesuit Volunteers http://www.jesuitvolunteers.org/default.cfm/PID=1.25 come to Sitka.  I have the pleasure of living with two former JVs, Emily and Megan.  The JVs come to live and serve in different communities across the US.  This is an organization I had never heard of until my move here to Sitka, but it is a wonderful blessing to our community here.  This year we have just recently welcomed the 2008/2009 JVs to town.  I had the privilege of getting to take 3 of them out after work this past week on a quick 3 hour paddle.  We went to the Parker group and hung out with the otters and laughed quite a bit.  2 of the JVs were unable to attend after I had to cancel the night we were suppose to go out, due to 3 foot scary swells.  
Located above from left to right are Eileen, Andrew, and Josef.  Eileen has traveled the world over and might have liked seeing the otters even more than me!  She was telling me on the paddle how much Sitka reminded her of when she lived in Norway!  She has also lived in Cairo, Egypt, actually she was born there.  Andrew, has an unusual habit of doing handstands on beautiful places. We had the pleasure of observing this strange behavior on a rock quarry on the island where we beached.  It was very impressive!  I thought he was going to take off and start walking around.  Josef with an F is apparently is a talented woodworker and has actually built two kayaks himself.  Teach me teach me!  I think we are going to have do a talent swap!  I have a lot to learn from these guys!  I felt like I was out with super talents.   I didn't know what sort of treat I would be in for when I volunteered to take these guys out but I am so glad we went and were chocolate coffee milkshake powered!  Thanks to former JV Caitlin for that hot milkshake flavor tip!  These JVs they know it all!  

No comments: