Sunday, March 8, 2009

An Overnight

Thomas and Aaron on the top of Bear Mnt. about to switch out their snowshoes for their snowboard (much quicker) and head back to the trees. Gorgeous day, sunny and beautiful, not a cloud in the sky as far as the eye could see.


Chloe emerging from the tent after a 10 hours, not so restful nights sleep.


The beginning, here is the gang about to hit the trail.

You can only handle so much salty almonds and dried mangoes. Here is some trail food I whipped up before heading up the mountain, it is always important to have something yummy to look forward to.

I have always said I would live outside if I could. I love fresh air, wind, rain, sun, the elements and being out in them. Everyday I spend as much time outside as I can, but it is never enough. My friend Hannah says the Swedish poeple call themselves "free air human beings" which in Swedish looks like this friluftsmanniskor. I definietly resinate with the term.

So this weekend I was able to spend a little more time than usual in the free air. Thomas, Aaron, Chloe and Chloe's sweet pup took an overnight snowboarding trip up Bear mountain.

Here is a list of things that I packed: snowboard, snowshoes, cramp-ons, icebreakers, ice-ax, base layer, fleece, wool sweater, down booties, tent poles, cook stove, fuel, sleeping bag, sleeping mat, gatters, and other necessary enmities such as water and food, no I could not put my pack on without help. Total elevation gained: nearly 4000 ft. We were slow going but going. We even took a video of us snowboarding off the top. Here are some pictures that tell the tale better than I could with words. And if you notice I am not in any of the pictures. I, for once, took the pictures. And for you bird lovers out there I am trying to become more knowledgeable of birds, but on this trip I did not see or hear even one! So bizarre...

1 comment:

Marty Ross said...

Hi Em: Where are all the comments? What a great trip. Would you please send pretzels? Baranof Island and Bear Mountain sure look incredible. Here is a bird link for you:
http://www.sitkanature.org/sitka-birds/
so you can get started! xo M