Saturday, December 1, 2012

winter running

I am so proud of my dad, formally known as a fair weather runner, he just recently called me to let me know that he would be running through the winter this year.  He was curious to know about any hot tips I had, in terms of gear he should accumulate.  At first I had a nice chuckle to myself wondering what winter weather he was talking about living in sunny South Carolina, then I shared. 

Today on my snowy trail run I was wondering how my dad is enjoying winter running.  I can find nothing more refreshing.  Plus it helps keep the sprirts high when the darkness is creeping in and everyone else is just bundled up under blankets by the fire waiting for summer. And while running you produce your own body heat and get to have a rewarding hot shower.  It is so rejuvenating, especially compared to stuffy gyms.  Also, the fresh air component is huge!  However, proper gear makes all the difference.  Here is my list of the best of winter running:

1.  A light weight beanie or toboggan.  Experts say 80% of your body heat is lost from your head, this is an essential, nothing more is needed.  And the good news is, it's easy to pack away if and when you get to warm. 

2. A base layer for your legs.  I don't ever break this out until it is below freezing, any warmer and I find I just get too overheated.  For less competitive runners, or people who feel like they're wearing underwear with the base layer, I advise light weight pants with a leg zips for easy on/off over shoe needs. 

3.  Mittens, mittens are better than gloves for multiple reasons, the main being you can ball up your hands for extra warmth.  Also, if your hands do get sweaty, you've got extra breathing space. 

4.  A light weight long sleeve with a thumb hole and a front zip.  I say light weight for economical reasons, you can always layer it with a short sleeve shirt under it if it is really cold.  So if you are going to buy just one long sleeve shirt, make sure it isn't too thick.  Also the thumb hole is essential to insure that you keep that cold air out of your hands.  The front zip is to help regulate your body temperature. 

5.  And fifth and finally socks!  Socks are often overlooked, but key to a happy winter run.  Make sure your socks are tall enough so that your base layer will cover them with no open skin. 

And this can't be a blog post about running without excert on running shoes, if you want to take care of yourself and body and you are planning on logging miles regularly, it is worth it to go to a running store and have them look at your feet and one or two shoes that will work for you.  Then buy that exact shoe for the rest of your life! Also don't bother with those hip cool looking trail shoes.  As a trail runner I've found they just aren't built to last like road shoes. 

Happy snowy trails!

No comments: