Thursday, December 20, 2012

more on winter running!

Wow, these winter running stories just keep coming!  I just finished reading two of my friends blogs on being mole like and hiding inside for winter.  I too have been much less active than I have EVER been in any winter.  The days seem so much shorter now, especially working 8 to 4:30, through all the sunlight of the day and then walking or biking home in total darkness. Hooray for the upcoming solstice!

However, thanks to Aaron at least 1 day a week, I am pulled out of the house for an afternoon, pitch black dark, trail run.  This weeks run was more fun than ever however because Aaron and I found ourselves turning off our headlamps, at 5pm, and running in the light of the moon!  Since the trail was covered in snow and the moon and stars were out we weren't in need of our usually necessary headlamps.  At one point we were running hand in hand by the light of the moon, ahhhh how sweet!  I love that man!

Second crazy winter run experience was Sunday morning and much less romantic.  At my normal 8 am pop out of bed weekend wake up time, I laced up and hit the trail.  I was so excited because not only was it beautiful outside but the trail was still runnable, not too much snow pile up yet.  Everyone was out, shoveling their driveways because of the fresh 2 or 3 inch new dusting of snow.  Like the previous snowy runs of the winter I followed deer trails onto the trail and when the access trail hit the main trail I noticed another sort of tracks, much larger than the previous set of tracks, BEAR!  What?  No way, I couldn't believe it, but when I heard a rustling in the bushes, believe it I did.  I high tailed it out of the trail, right back to the road, where I decided to plug in a few more miles before heading home.  So much for a dreamy white trail run, that would have to wait for another day. 

No comments: