Saturday, December 8, 2012

let it snow!

In Sitka snow is not a guarantee.  The winter typically isn't cold enough for snow and the few days a year the temperature drops below freezing means the insulating clouds have lifted.  We get gobs of snow on the mountain peeks, but our coastal town rarely sees snow down low.  This week however the snow kept coming.  Each morning I'd jump up to check the weather: is the snow still on the ground? did we get any new snow? has it started raining yet?  And the answer was the same: yes, yes, no... Then I'd check the temperature to see what would happen if precipitation came and cross my fingers that by some miracle it would keep snowing.  Luckily enough today, a week after the had begun  to fall, we had accumulated quite a base of more than a foot of fluffy white powder!

So when I peeked out of the windows this morning and the snow was still there I was lulled out of bed by the thought of my x-country skiing dream actually becoming a reality.  Next, I rushed to our weather station, 29 degrees!  Hallelujah, that was absolutely perfect for a x-country ski!  I was the first person on the snowy trail this morning following deer tracks as I meandering up and down a white wonderland.  It might be my only x-country ski of the year, but it sure was delightful while it lasted!

4 comments:

BR said...

So fun! Glad you were able to get out!

eclark said...

WAHOOOOOO! So glad you were able to get in a cross country ski!! May the snow keep falling in southeast!

Unknown said...

so nice

The Breedloves said...

Emily!!! This is Courtney Breedlove. I love the thought of you cross country skiing on a trail with deer tracks. Thanks for the image. Hope you are doing well. You are missed here in Asheville!