Monday, March 22, 2010

Sitka Folk



Yeah for Sitka Folk and all the people that are involved to keep it up and going, cough, Lon Garrison and Ted Howard. I clam to be involve, but typically just sit at meetings and listen to the groups they've booked and get excited about bringing fantastic groups to Sitka. This year they have gone ABOVE and BEYOND their line of duty. April Verch and Crooked Still being two major reasons. We had nearly a packed house at each show, which is HUGE for Sitka and our 8,000 person town. April Verch was here this past week and knocked my socks off and everybody elses. She is a fiddle playing, step-foot dancing, singing phenomenon. I recommend her and her bands latest album Seal the Blue if you don't already own. it. My favorite is track 11, He's holding onto Me, it's hauntingly beautiful.

Sitka folk is such a BLESSING to me here and inspiring to all who attend the shows. THANK you SITKA FOLK!!

And for all you non island dwellering alaska living friends, I don't get introduced to a lot of new music up here so please always feel free to pass on groups, people I need to know about! And then maybe even with some luck Sitka Folk could help get them up here!

No comments: