Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Crossing Baranof Island

Here I am with a map and compass shooting a line across the glacier.
Crossing one of the ridge lines in the fog and mist.
Here we are hurrying to take a picture during a 5 minute, period where the clouds have broken.
The journey has ended we are about to hop on The Beaver, leave Baranof Warm Springs and return to Sitka.
Here is just a shot of an assent. This is one of my favorite pictures from the trip, it captures the journey well.

So I am an island dweller. Now you probably wouldn't compare this island to Maui or Jamaica, but it is an island none the less and in my humble opinion it much more delightful than the tropics. And this summer I was lucky enough actually to hike across the island. It was a coveted trip, more delightful than I could have ever imagined, even with the weather worse than typical. This means even though I was hiking across long gorgeous ridge lines and beside glacier lakes all I saw was a gray fog. I had to make those mental images of nature and its beauty in my mind.

However thanks to a friend of mine, Marty Manes who recorded his trip, made a video and posted it on teacher tube I can forever remember the experience and share it with others. He also had better luck with the weather. Marty no longer lives here in Sitka unfortunately because he was a great part of the community here. But he is still off doing wonderful things, this fall he and his wife moved to Arctic Village:


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arctic_Village,_AK
So if you have 5 minutes and would like to see the island I call home I would recommend you watch this video:

http://www.teachertube.com/view_video.php?viewkey=bd4ab51e9b50ff0a1a88

1 comment:

Marty Ross said...

Wow Emily you live in an exceptionally beautiful place. What's the story on brown bears? Dan says they are larger and even hungrier than polar bears. Izzatso? xoxox M