Monday, January 19, 2009

Welcome to Town


So last Thursday a person from my past became again a person of my present. This time however in the form of a peer and friend. Sitka has just recently welcomed to town Thomas Gibson and he is fitting right in to the Sitka summer camp life: hiking mountains, post church whiffle ball, music jams, the list goes on.

Thomas was one of my youth kids at Trinity Presbyterian Church where I was a youth leader for three years. Currently he is a junior at Appalachian State getting a degree in Sustainable Agriculture. This semester he decided to take off for Alaska to be a kayaking guide at an outfitter where he will be taking multiday trips (why didn't I find that job when I moved to AK?). That job doesn't begin until April however so he called me up asking if he thought I could find him a place to live and/or job until that point. Done. He is living with some friends of mine and working as a sub in the school district here.

When we went hiking on Saturday I don't think I have heard the word unbelievable more times in my life. When we reached the top of Gaven he spoke the words I think everytime I go hiking here in Southeast " I have never seen a more beautiful place in my whole entire life. " Welcome to Southeast I said. I don't know if he is going to making it back to App for that Agriculture degree. I warned him.

1 comment:

Marty Ross said...

Hi Em: Good for Mr. Gibson, and good for you, especially. I can't wait to be there one day. That picture with the mountain in the background -- is that the background?! -- is really fantastic. In Sitka, the background is the foreground. I finally figured it out. xxoox M