Saturday, December 21, 2013

parts

Ruthann
I'm not exactly sure my full end goal with this blog post.  I know  I want to make a tribute to my grandparents, in particular Nancy Prancy who passed away this past week, just a few days after our visit and thank her/them for the way they've impacted me, in positive ways as a person, and maybe even in so far as how I choose to parent an their impact on my children a.k.a. Ruthann.

So here I go... PARTS:

It is amazing, when it boils down to it, how little I actually know about my grandparents.  My namesake, Emily died when I was just 8, so nearly all I know of her comes from stories.  I know she was adored by all who knew her, she loved to talk, was the center of parties, made legendary biscuits, and by the time she finally married at age 28 everyone had written her off for an old maid.
In honor of Emily, a talker.


I was given a little more time with her husband, Bill, who died when I was 19.  He greatly valued education and started a college fund for all of his grandkids.  He had a quick wit and endless expressions, many of which have stood the test of time.  For example, hardly a day passed in my childhood where I wasn't awoken by his phrase "It's not whether you get up but how."  He also made quite a breakfast spread, unfortunately for his grandkids you had to be up by 6:30 in the morning to enjoy! He was a skilled parallel parker, due to his time spent in Washington D.C.  He had voluptuous   lips and a rather large derriere which was later coined "the Bradford butt" fortunately all 3 of his sons inherited! I also remember he had a great love of ice cream though he didn't "love things, just people."
In honor of Bill, a doer.

In honor of Rudd, a mover.
I'm grateful to have had even more time with Rudd, who just passed a few years ago.  Like Bill, he too had a way with words.  The stories from his youth could be made into movies.  He was frugal, strict, had a mean vegetable garden, kept honeybees, and had all his animals well trained and wrapped around his finger.  Rudd was an outdoor enthusiast if there ever was one.

                                                                           


His wife, Nancy also loved both the outdoors and animals.  She drove convertibles, loved to shop, I was a recipient of many a themed sock!  She was quick to laugh, quick to love and incredibly sweet in every way.  She adored her husband and her pets. She and Rudd traveled the world over.  They walked nearly everyday, together until practically the end.  They also road bikes together.  Nancy, my last remaining grandparent died this past week, in her sleep.  We knew it was coming.  Ruthann was able to meet her and say both her hellos and goodbyes.  It was a sweet memory.  I'm so grateful we were able to have it.  And I'm grateful for all the parts of my grandparents that I know, values they shared and passed along.  I'd like to think I am a mix of their various parts.
In honor of Nancy, a laugher.

1 comment:

BR said...

What a dear tribute to your grandparents, my sweet friend. I'm so sorry you lost your grandma this past week. How sad. I love you.