Friday, January 27, 2012

something i'd never thought i'd do...

Alaska can be cold, however, Anchorage is colder than any Alaskan I've ever felt, -8 degrees cold in fact. Maybe in my lifetime I've experienced -8, but then again maybe not. But today, no question, I did.

This morning I woke up, looked out my window, and put on my running shoes at -8 degrees.

I ran 40 minutes at that temperature and actually was quite warm (thanks to the beanie, 2 pairs of mittens, neck gator, base layer, fleece and down puff I was wearing). With the exception of my eye lashes, which were frozen, and my belly (my base layer had ridden up and I was wearing two many pairs of mittens to fix it) it felt like a normal sunny day.

But -8 is cold, so cold in fact that when you walk outside you loose your breathe and when you finally catch it, you begin coughing because it burns your lungs. Tomorrow I plan on going back out with cross-country skis, Sunday hopefully to the ski hill, but come Monday I'll be happy to be back in Sitka where it may even be above freezing!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
zzccff said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.