Thursday, August 1, 2013

Good Australian Birth

When I woke up on July 25th the first words out of my mouth were "Aaron I know this sounds crazy, but I think we are going to have our baby in the next 48 hours!"  It was my due date and after watching, with the world, Princess Kate Middleton deliver 12 days late, how was I planning on actually going into labor on time? 

Sure enough walking down to the pool to go swimming with my friend and one of my favorite nurses, Annie right before noon she had me do an about face returning to the house and ultimately to her car and into the hospital.  "Your mucus plug has passed and you want to go swimming, are you sure your water hasn't broken?, Emily we need to call your doctor and head to the hospital!"  On the way to the hospital she also called Aaron telling him that he should plan on meeting us there, ASAP.  Sure enough in the hospital I was released 1 centimeter dilated, 80% effaced and Dr. Edwards said "see you tonight" as I walked out the door. 

At 8:30 pm, after 2 1/2 hours of active labor at home, I returned to the hospital with my other favorite nurse and birthing companion Shelley Adams and my precious husband.  This time 5 centimeters dilated and in active labor I was about to have a baby!  6 and 1/2 very emotional hours later I was holding baby girl Ruthann Sloan Routon in my arms. 

For me and Aaron it was the perfect delivery.  Everyone in the delivery room was a dream.  I would never want to relive any of it, but all the same it was a perfect miracle.

We delivered at 3:03 the next morning. Here are some of the endless photos we took.  We have more professional ones en route.    So hopefully my next post will include some of those! 

Classic post labor photo...

Ruthann Sloan is so perfect!



Day 1 with Ruthann


Happy grandma

Ready to leave the hospital

Nurse Bec and my amazing Dr., Valerie Edwards

Can you find Ruthann?

Ruthann's first trip outside

What we came home too... thank you Emily, Kristin and Shelley!
First moments at home...

The whole family in the nursery.



Aaron took this photo from our window right before we left for the hospital to labor and deliver sweet baby.

Grandma time in the hospital.

Big yawn with Kristin.


For Aaron's full account of the birth story click on link below: 
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1SUigCMgTA2IamdNTmlD-XQtNqusA1CORO12glgbZQJY/edit?usp=sharing

1 comment:

the north sister said...

That is the most beautiful baby. I am so proud of you guys.

David