Saturday, September 29, 2012

the end of the earth

I'll NEVER forget my memories of flying into Alaska for the first time.  It started pre-dawn in Charlotte, NC and ended in a sea-of-trees.  The flight from Seattle into Ketchican was where the magic started.  My eyes were glued to the window the entire 1 1/2 hours: trees, trees, more trees, ocean, ocean, more ocean.  Where was I going?  And wherever it was it couldn't be where any other life forms existed!  Then was my 4th and final flight from Ketchican to Sitka, and however unbelievably, it felt even more remote.  I was sitting by an Alaska Native and asking him my questions, endless questions still glued to the window, and on this flight I was actually starting to get a little scared.  What if I had a medical emergency and needed to go to the hospital? Would I get to one in time?  Was I going to die this summer living on the edge of the earth?  Yes, these were true thoughts that entered my head as I continued to stare at the trees, mnts., and ocean.  I couldn't believe it!  Then landing I noticed mesmerizing Mnt. Edgecumbe, still fresh with snow, despite it begin June 11th.  My fear then turned to desire and a need to be outside... I was fantasizing about snowboarding down the volcano? (was it really a volcano?) into the ocean.  And then, 17 hours later, I landed, unknowing that I would over the coarse of the summer fall head of heels in "life" with Sitka.

However, this past weekend I've realized that Sitka is closer to civilization than I had formally believed.  This past May our friend Ben took a teaching job in Delta Junx., to where he and his wife Emily would move even further off the grid.  Also in May Aaron, Sam, and I put the Fairbanks Marathon, on our calendar, as an excuse to travel up to Delta Junction (90 miles south of Fairbanks) for a visit with our former dearest Sitka friends.

Delta Junx, even though on the road system has weather, people and wind that seemed much more extreme than Sitka.  The stores are fewer, smaller, as were the berries, trees, and hills.  Emily and Ben are now tundra dwellers.  We were glad we were able to make the trip to the real end of the earth to see them and their new interesting adventure.  And if you are interested in learning more about tundra life Emily is currently a blogger and true pioneer woman! 
Emily, Ben, Sam, Aaron, and I with our Fairbanks friends, Nelly and Pete in front of their cute cabin. 

This photo was taken after the marathon... it is another dear friend Glenn, from Juneau, at the awards ceremony.  He broke the 70-80 age record by 9 minutes!  Way to go Glenn.

Aaron with his second place in his age division medal!  Look how excited he is!

Em and I in front of their cabin in Delta Junction, you can also see their new car, Birch in the photo!

A rainbow in Delta Junx.
Ben, Em, me and old grampa Sam with his post race walking cane. 
On the trails of Delta Junx., fall is in full color!

1 comment:

eclark said...

HELLLLOOOO from the end of the earth!! Thanks for hte great entry!