Tuesday, January 4, 2011

the moon

Here is a photo Aaron took of the lunar eclipse that took place on Dec. 21st

How often do you think of the moon? For me, recently, quite often. It all began a few weeks ago during the much discussed winter solstice lunar eclipse which according my many sources was the first in hundreds of years. This lunar eclipse also happened to take place one of the 3 nights of the year that Swan lake was frozen. And since I was in Alaska, unlike the rest of the country, I didn't have to stay up too late to watch it. Needless to say I was one of 100s of people out skating on the lake when it happened. Some people set up bonfires, video cameras, and even laid out bed mattresses to watch. It was okay, the moon turned orange, then red and finally it disappeared... I went to bed and when I woke up again at 1am it was back to normal.

Then this weekend at church my pastor brought up the moon. He showed us photos and quoted various astronauts. It was the illustration he chose to use to put humankind into perspective and then to put Jesus, the creator of the moon and the Earth into perspective. It was a lovely sermon.

Last night was my most recent moon episode. It was in my dream. My husband and one of his friends (I can't remember who) decided they were going to take a space shuttle into outer space. They wanted me to come with them. I told them over and over that I didn't want to go to the moon, that I wasn't courageous like them, I was too afraid. I am not going to try to interpret that dream, but if it happens again where my husband hops on a space shuttle headed toward the moon, I am going with him!


2 comments:

Melanie said...

Wow, the moon looks beautiful in that shot. Always good to remember how God created the moon and stars to remind us of his mightyness. Love that crazy dream of yours too!

Delia said...

I LOVE THE NEW DESIGN!!!